WINTER E-FAT BIKING IN BANFF IS HERE!
Fat biking in Banff is the brand new, ultimate, winter experience offered in the majestic Canadian Rocky Mountains of Banff. And, we are the first and only certified mountain bike guides permitted in Banff National Park! No e-fat bike experience is necessary for this tour but you do need to know how to ride a bike. Our two-hour guided tours are for all ages (13+) and abilities (though you must know how to ride a bicycle). Your professional, certified guide will provide you with all the skills and thrills for an epic experience that will leave you grinning ear-to-ear. We do have non e-bikes available for private bookings.
WHAT’S INCLUDED WITH YOUR BANFF FAT BIKE TOUR:
- Winter e-fat bike
- A local, professional and energetic guide
- Pit stops for photos at epic Banff Instagram spots
- Basic skills and pro tips so you can have THE most amount of fun
During your Banff winter fat bike tour, terrain will be within your ability. You must be able to ride a bike to join the tour. No fat bike experience is necessary!
WHAT TO PACK FOR YOUR FAT BIKE TOUR:
*Note for e-fat bike tours, you will generate much less body heat than you think, fingers and toes are the most important to keep warm*
- Warm winter boots and thick warm socks or heated socks (but only if you have a pair!)
- Hand and Toe warmers if you tend to get cold fingers and toes
- Warm, full-fingered gloves (not mitts) and protective eyewear (ski goggles/sunglasses)
- Helmets are mandatory and included in the tour cost. Feel free to bring your own. Ski helmets totally work and tend to be warmer than bike helmets on colder days
- Two neck warmers or buffs – one to to fit under a helmet and one for around your neck
- Snow pants & Winter Jackets are essential in any temperatures below zero. Gear can be rented from stores in Banff such as Snowtips-Bactrax
- Dress in thin layers in order to be mobile and remove if necessary.
- A backpack with hot water and room to store layers.
Please note that safety is our first priority. If the guide thinks your attire or footwear isn’t appropriate and compromises your safety on the tour, you may not be able to participate.
- The minimum age is 13 years.
- All children aged 15 years and under must be accompanied by their parent or legal guardian.
- You need the basic skills of bike riding to join the tour including getting on and off a bike, starting and stopping and peddling.
- All adults must sign a waiver, which will be sent through upon booking. A waiver must also be completed by the parent or legal guardian of any child under the age of 18 years.
- Photo ID may be required for identity verification.
- Please note that this tour requires a minimum of 2 participants.
- Tour can be made private with a minimum of 4 participants – please call to inquire.
Winter Fat Biking FAQs
The tour begins at 1pm and returns at no later than 3:15pm. (2 hours total)
We meet at Bear Street Outfitters at 12:45pm. 203 A Bear Street, Banff, AB. Map Link HERE
You can park for free on the 2nd or 3rd floor of the Parkade at 136 Bear Street. (Less than a block from meeting point) MAP link HERE
E-fat biking in Banff is the newest and most fun winter activity! A fat bike or snow bike is an off-road bicycle with oversized tires, typically 3.8 in (97 mm) or larger, designed for low ground pressure to allow riding on soft, unstable terrain, such as snow, sand, bogs and mud.
A helmet & electric fat tire bike are provided.
We do have analogue (non-electric) fat bikes available for private bookings. Please contact us for more information.
This tour is suitable for beginners. You should be comfortable riding some type of human-propelled, two-wheeled bicycle prior to taking this tour. Fat Biking is most similar to mountain biking but at a much slower pace!
Please be prepared for the mountain weather, it changes quickly and our winter fat bike tours run in anything from -15C (-5F) +10C (+50F). Wind chill can change the temperature dramatically and you will be outside for the duration of your tour.
To ensure that you enjoy the tour, please wear/bring:
- Warm winter boots, and hand and toe warmers if you tend to get cold toes
- Warm, full-fingered gloves and protective eyewear (goggles/sunglasses)
- Helmets are mandatory and included in the tour cost. Feel free to bring your own. Ski helmets totally work and tend to be warmer than bike helmets on colder days.
- A thin winter hat to fit under a helmet
- Snow pants & Winter Jackets are essential in any temperatures below zero. Gear can be rented from stores in Banff such as Snowtips-Bactrax.
- Dress in thin layers in order to be mobile and remove if necessary
- A backpack with hot water and room to store layers
- A couple of neck warmers such as a buff or a face covering.
- Hand and Toe warmers or heated socks if you have them.
- A backpack for items above and with room to store layers
If it goes below -15 degrees Celsius then we will not run the tour and we can reschedule your booking.
Payment for the program is due at time of booking. Programs canceled more than 28 days prior to the session start date and time are 100% refundable minus a 5% administration fee. Programs canceled within 7-28 days prior to the session start date and time will receive a 50% refund. All programs canceled within 7 days of the session start date and time are non-refundable. Programs can be postponed to an alternate date at the sole discretion of BIKESCAPE. Fees for refunds of payments made by e-transfer to a CAD bank account made in CAD dollars may be assessed an up to 5% administration fee at the sole discretion of BIKESCAPE.
Tips are not expected, but are certainly appreciated. If you think your totally rad guide did an exceptional job and would like to indicate that with a tip, it will be graciously accepted with cash or e-transfer at the end of your session.